Seasons
Featured
Cuisine
Preparation Methods
Search
  •  

Should Trendy Latte Coffee Shops Also Sell Alcohol
Quote07.07.2011 17:580 people like thisLike

Interestingly enough, a very good business model happens to be coffee shops, which also sell alcohol during the evening hours. It kind of makes sense that a hybrid store that sells lattes, and beer and wine would work. In many regards caffeine and alcohol both seem to be things that humans use to alter their state of mind.

Not long ago, I was at one of the little trendy local latte coffee shops, and it was quite busy. I got to talking to someone and he said he would like to open a coffee shop someday too, as basically he said that; caffeine was nothing more than a drug. From a philosophical standpoint, that's probably true, caffeine is a stimulant, but what he was getting at was the fact that people were addicted to caffeine. And selling people something they had to have, was indeed, probably a good way to ensure repeat visits.

It is hard to say if the concept of selling alcohol at coffee shops will ever catch on. I am certain that parents probably don't like the idea because kids also hang out coffee shops, especially the trendy types. And obviously it doesn't make sense to turn teenage coffee drinkers into alcoholics. We have enough of those kinds of problems already in our society. But from a business standpoint, it certainly makes sense to sell coffee and alcohol to everyone else if you wish to maintain shareholders equity and increase profits.

In fact, last month there was an interesting article in the USA Today Food Section titled "Sonic, Burger King, other fast-food chains selling alcohol" by Bruce Horovitz, which opened with the following leader paragraph; "The trip to the fast-food joint that was once all about burgers and fries is increasingly about something that could require you to flash your ID: beer and wine."

And the article also hosted a picture of a "Grand opening of a Sonic in Homestead, Fla., one of two Florida Sonics to begin serving beer and wine later this summer."

Why you ask? It is simple; indeed Bruce Horovitz puts it like this;

"In a bid to boost business, two Sonic restaurants in South Florida soon will sell beer and wine. The move follows Burger King "Whopper Bars" recently opened in Miami, Las Vegas, and Kansas City that sell beer. Starbucks recently began to serve local beer and wine in a handful of Seattle stores."

It would seem in some instances it would make a lot of sense, this new approach, but I am quite certain there will be people against it, such as MADD (Mothers against Drunk Drivers) and I can certainly understand their point. Nevertheless, I too understand that consumers and customers will probably like the idea of having a beer or glass of wine with their meal, especially in the evenings. Perhaps it might be something that is only sold after four or five o'clock? And if the prices are lower than going to the local watering hole, a bar, maybe people will go to a coffee shop or fast food restaurants to kill two-birds with one stone?

It will be interesting to see how this plays out in the future, but it is a new trend worth watching. It will also be interesting to see how local municipalities, zoning, and liquor licenses handle this in the future. Indeed I hope you will please consider all this and think on.

Taste of Nawlins
Copyright © 2022 TASTE OF NAWLINS tasteofnawlins.biz